Mom Guilt

One of the hardest things about parenting is making time for yourself. You get so caught up in taking care of your child that you often forget or neglect your own needs. I’m guilty of doing this often. Between working fulltime and being a single parent, I forget to make time for myself.

A major goal I have for this year is to make time for myself. Time away from being in mommy mode and to allow myself to take care of me & my mental health. Mom guilty always set in whenever I attempt to have some me time, but one of my big goals for 2019 is to fight the guilt and let myself enjoy that time. A huge part of this, is the guilt I feel being away from my child 40 hours a week due to work and missing out on so many important moments. My daughter is 2 years old and she is constantly growing and learning and being away from her during such a vital time makes me feel guilty. If you have me on social media, you probably saw that I recently went on a girls trip with my friends, what you didn’t see is the back & forth I had with myself and the conversations I had with my sisters & my girls about going on vacation. It’s hard for me to treat myself as I feel some guilt about it. However, I kept reminding myself that if I’m stressed or not feeling 100% I can’t be the best mother I can be. To ensure that I’m taking time off I plan to add “me time” to my weekly routine. This can range from working on my blog, going to the movies with friends or going shopping without the kiddo (shopping for myself only). It’s totally okay to have time away from your child, as you were an individual that had likes, hobbies, and a social life before your child came along.

So for 2019 & onward we, as parents, are allowing ourselves to have time away from our kids and enjoying it! If you’re a parent, let me know some of your favorite self-care activities you like to do without your kid.

6 Comments Add yours

1. Nas says:

You’re doing great, habiba! You’re a dope ass mom. Don’t ever feel bad for taking care of yourself 😊

1. stecarefree says:

Thank you!!

1. stecarefree says:

Thank you! And thanks for reading my post!

2. Wally says:

I love the honesty you are showcasing in the trials and tribulations of motherhood. I can’t wait for another blog post ❤️

3. Faiza says:

Oh the guilt of a working mother is real. I can also relate on this one. I recently took a trip with my kids because being away from my kids a whole month was not sitting well with me BUT I did took a me vacation within that month vacation lol I took 5 days of Faiza vacation and went to an island 🌴 with friends no kids just friends and I & I greatly appreciate it that time to myself (I low key don’t feel bad about it 😆) but anyways keep up the great writhing and good reads, you are a wise young lady and I admire your smarts.

1. stecarefree says:

I’m so glad to hear you took time for yourself. You totally deserve it sis!